The Health Education and Advocacy Unit of the Consumer Protection Division offers mediation services to consumers who have a billing dispute with their healthcare provider or a coverage dispute with their HMO or health insurance company. For example:
- If your health plan has refused to cover a medical procedure or pay for a medical service
- If you need help resolving a billing dispute with a health care provider, such as a hospital, doctor or dentist
- If you need assistance resolving a dispute about medical equipment that was defective or was never delivered
The Unit also helps consumers who have been denied enrollment in a Qualified Health Plan or denied Advanced Premium Tax Credits or Cost-Sharing Reductions by Maryland Health Connection.
Maryland law also allows providers to file complaints against insurance carriers on behalf of consumers.
Our services are FREE.
HOW YOU CAN HELP US HELP YOU
If you need our help with a health insurance claim or with a medical bill, you must submit an authorization form so we may obtain your medical, insurance and billing information. Your healthcare provider(s) and your health insurance company are prohibited from sharing your information with us without your signed authorization.
If you need our assistance with your Maryland Health Connection appeal, you will need to complete an Authorized Representative Form and, for denials of premium tax credits or cost-sharing reductions, copies of financial records that show your household income
June 26, 2015 - Consumer Alert: AG Frosh: What Consumers Should Know About CareFirst Data Breach Attorney General Brian E. Frosh is advising customers of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield about a data breach that the company last week confirmed had occurred in or around June 2014. Read Full Alert here..
- Do you want to file a complaint online? Click Here.
- Would you rather print out the complaint form and mail it to us? Click Here.
- Do you want us to mail you a complaint form? Call 410- 528-1840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us which form you need and provide us with your mailing address.
- Providers who wish to file a complaint should click here.
- Do you want to file a complaint about a non-health related good or service? Click Here.