Office of the Attorney General Files Charges Against
Eleven Health Clubs
MD (September 5, 2008) - Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler announced
today that his Consumer Protection
Division has filed administrative charges against eleven health
clubs for failing to renew their registration with the Division
under Maryland’s Health Club law. The businesses and their
• AAA Karate
of Silver Spring (Silver Spring)
• Charles Brown t/a Frederick Academy of Self Defense (Frederick)
• CMT Business Works, Inc. t/a Curves of Glen Burnie (Brooklyn Park)
• Contours Express of Bryans Road (Accokeek)
• JYI Marital Arts, LLC (Arnold)
• JG Fitness Inc. t/a Contours Express of Hagerstown (Hagerstown)
• Kelmar, Inc. t/a Curves - La Plata (La Plata)
• King Tiger Martial Arts, Inc. (Silver Spring)
• Panther Academy of Martial Arts, Inc. (Ocean Pines)
• PMM, LLC t/a Self Defense America (Centreville)
• Shannon Moore t/a The Wing Chun Gung Fu School of Columbia (Columbia)
Each business is charged with selling health club services from 2007 to
2008 without properly registering with the Consumer Protection Division.
seek an order requiring the businesses to cease and desist from selling
health club services in Maryland, unless they comply with the registration
and to pay civil penalties and costs.
A public hearing of the charges will be held on September 24,
2008 at 10:00 a.m. at the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings,
located at 11101 Gilroy Road, Hunt Valley.
Under Maryland law, health clubs, self-defense schools, and weight loss centers
are required to register prior to selling health club services. The law also
requires facilities to post a bond or other security with the Division if they
collect more than three months of payment in advance from consumers or charge
an initiation fee of more than $200.00.
“The registration and bonding requirement helps to protects
consumers’ financial health in the event that the club goes
out of business,” said Attorney General Gansler.
Prior to joining a
health club, self-defense school, or weight loss center, consumers
should check whether the business is registered
by calling the Division at 410-576-6350 or by visiting OAG’s
website at www.oag.state.md.us/Healthclub/consumer.htm.
The website also contains useful tips for consumers considering
member of a facility.