| |
For
Immediate Release
March 6, 2007 |
|
Attorney
General Gansler Prepared to Answer the Surgeon General’s
Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking
Responding to today’s release of a report by Acting Surgeon
General Kenneth Moritsugu, Maryland Attorney General Douglas F.
Gansler said he will work with the state’s alcohol prevention
partners to help spread the word of the risks associated with underage
drinking and what can be done to prevent it. The report, entitled,
Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/underagedrinking/calltoaction.pdf),
identifies underage drinking as a serious public health and safety
problem that must be addressed early, continuously and in the context
of human development. The Call to Action offers goals for reducing
and preventing underage drinking and outlines how parents, schools,
prosecutors, health care professionals, government and community
officials, and youth can achieve the goals.
“Underage drinking is a serious pediatric health issue
that demands our immediate attention,” said Attorney General
Gansler. “As the number one drug of choice among youth, alcohol
has been shown to cause long-term and sometimes irreversible effects
on developing brains. We must get youth, parents and other adults
to understand the serious health risks associated with youth drinking
and find ways to change the environment that leads to underage
drinking. I completely agree with the Acting Surgeon General that
underage drinking is not inevitable and certainly not an acceptable
rite of passage.”
The National Association of Attorneys General Youth Access to
Alcohol Committee formed in 2004 to work to reduce underage drinking.
The Committee studies youth exposure to alcohol advertising and
access to alcohol, educates state Attorneys General on ways to
reduce access and change social norms about underage drinking,
and partners with national and state entities to augment and enhance
on-going efforts to stop underage drinking.
The Call to Action
incorporates several key aspects of March 2006 comments submitted
by the Attorneys General’s Committee,
specifically including the need to reduce the overexposure of youth
and college students to alcohol industry marketing practices. Some
of the specific measures noted by the Surgeon General include reducing
outdoor alcohol advertising, eliminating ads that portray alcohol
as an appropriate rite of passage to adulthood or an essential
element in achieving popularity or success, eliminating alcohol
products that disproportionately appeal to youth, designing websites
and Internet ads that do not especially attract or appeal to youth,
and on college campuses, eliminating alcohol sponsorship of college
athletics and other social events, and eliminating alcohol advertising
in college publications.
Attorney General Gansler recently joined other Attorneys General
in recommending that Anheuser-Busch enhance its age verification
process to prevent underage access to its new Bud.TV promotional
website. Previously, in other youth alcohol prevention efforts,
the Maryland Attorney General stopped a tobacco company from distributing
coasters with messages that promote excessive drinking (http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2005/121405.htm);
called upon the alcohol industry to use lessons learned from the
tobacco litigation settlement to reduce youth exposure to alcohol
marketing (http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2006/082406.htm); asked
the Federal Trade Commission to take a closer look at alcohol marketing
and the role it plays in underage drinking (http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2006/051606.htm);
and successfully encouraged distillers to remove alcohol ads from
school and library magazine subscriptions (http://www.oag.state.md.us/Press/2006/032106.htm).
|