June 10, 2002
Sean Caine, 410-576-6357
OFFICE FILES CHARGES AGAINST NINE HEALTH CLUBS
General J. Joseph Curran, Jr. announced today that his Consumer
Protection Division has filed administrative charges against nine
health clubs, karate schools and weight loss centers for failing
to register with the Division under Maryland's health club law.
The businesses are:
Apolo's Karate, Inc. t/a Apolo's Karate - Pasadena
2. Bare Hills Athletic Club, Inc. t/a The Bare Hills Athletic Club
3. F-W Family Corp. t/a Weight Watchers of Washington D.C. - Rockville
4. Gett Physical, Inc. t/a Gett Physical - Westernport
5. International Tae Kwon Do Academy, Inc. t/a International Tae
Kwon Do Academy - Eldersburg
6. Kimbell's Health and Fitness for Women t/a Kimbell's Health and
Fitness for Women - Silver Spring
7. Sykesville Tae Kwon Do t/a Sykesville Tae Kwon Do - Eldersburg
8. Westminster Karate Academy t/a Westminster Karate Academy - Westminster
9. Westminster Karate Family Training Center t/a Westminster Karate
Family Training Center - Westminster
Under Maryland law, health clubs are required to register annually
with the Consumer Protection Division. The law also requires facilities
to post a bond or other security with the Division if they collect
more than three months' payment in advance from members.
laws protect consumers in the event the club should go out of business
before a consumer's membership expires," said Curran. "Strict
compliance is necessary or else consumers run the risk of losing
urges consumers to call the Consumer Protection Division at 410-576-6350
before they join a health club, weight loss center or karate school
to see if it is properly registered and bonded. Members of the nine
charged health clubs can also call that number if they have questions.
Consumers can also find advice about joining health clubs on the
Attorney General's Web site at www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/tip69.htm.
The public hearing on the charges will be held at the Maryland Office
of Administrative Hearings, 11101 Gilroy Road, Hunt Valley, Md.,
on July 9, 2002, at 10:00 a.m.